We offer guided handcar tours across railroad tracks through Fort Ord Dunes State Park 15 minutes north of Monterey. These are handcars, meaning you provide the physical effort using your legs and arms to propel the rail vehicle. When you book one of our handcars, you are booking a car with four seats for up to four participants. However, 2 and 3 people can also operate the car.
Monterey Peninisula is the only place in the world where you can participate on a handcar tour. Most participants tell us this is one of most unique experiences they have participated in and many come back again for another tour.
Our six mile long tours travel next to the ocean through scenic Fort Ord Dunes State Park. The scenery is spectacular with the tracks rolling alongside sand dunes, through coastal scrub, Monterey Cypress groves, and finally through a Monterey Pine forest. At the top of the hill the route loops around to itself with a sweeping view of Monterey Bay. Our track is one of the most scenic rail lines in California.
This experience is not a ride, it is a physical endeavor. There are no electric motors or gasoline engines to help you across the route. It is up to your chosen team to pump your handcar over the six miles route. There is approximately 1 mile of hills where you will work your arms and legs hard. These are guided tours with the handcars traveling together as one unit with trained guides leading on a handcar to the front and to the rear of the group.
Age, Weight, and other Restrictions
- Each participant must be at least 10 years old and under 300 pounds to ride.
- The design of the handcar precludes carry infants in a sling because the pump arm comes back at the chest.
- All participants must have full use of arms and legs to safely seat and support themselves on the handcar.
- Caregivers of persons with developmental disabilities, including autism spectrum should consider the hazards associated with this activity before booking.
- Closed toed shoes are mandatory.
- Animals are not permitted as they cannot be safely transported on the handcars.
You are paying for a handcar, we do not charge per person. The cost for a handcar is $189. Each car carries up to four people, but you need at least two people. This comes out to less than $50 per person.
We also host team building events for companies looking to improve teamwork among its workgroups. Visit this link for more information.
Have more questions or want to learn more about our tours:
- Visit our FAQ page for more questions and answers.
- Our television media page has broadcast stories about our tours.
- Visit our Virtual Museum and learn more about our equipment and handcars